UBC Connects at Robson Square
program application form
Get $5,000, plus promotional and logistical support to
bring your event to life at UBC Robson Square.
About the program
The UBC Connects at Robson Square program is a new initiative that supports innovative, public engagement programming at UBC Robson Square. Currently a two-year pilot program, Connects at Robson Square empowers the equitable knowledge exchange between UBC and our local communities.
Who can apply
This initiative is open to UBC students, faculty, staff and alumni, as well as community partners who are working in collaboration with UBC.
Applications will remain open until October 31, 2023, or until available funds are exhausted. During this open call period, proposals will be reviewed immediately after submission, with the aim of notifying applicants of funding decisions within two weeks of submission. Please note that we will require a minimum of 4 weeks lead time before the date of your event.
Criteria and review process
All events supported by this program are required to be free and open to the public to support equitable access to knowledge and maximize public engagement.
A review committee consisting of students, faculty, staff and community members will evaluate each application based on the key criteria listed below.
- Engagement: Programming should have a balance of participants that are both from the general public and part of the UBC community. All events that will be funded and supported by this program should be of interest to and designed for both public and UBC audiences.
- Relevance: Programming should increase public exposure to faculty-based knowledge and research and show UBC’s value as a thought leader on pressing societal issues. Program should be accessible and relevant to members of the general public who may not have specialized academic knowledge.
- Program Feasibility: The goals and intended impact of your event should be clearly outlined. We will also be assessing the logistical feasibility of your application in regard to your budget, scheduling dates, suitability of the venue, etc.
In addition to the above, a minimum of three events per application cycle that align with one or more of UBC’s presidential priorities in 2022 will be accepted. These three priorities are: a) Indigenous engagement and reconciliation b) antiracism and equity, diversity and inclusion and c) climate change, climate justice, and sustainability. While we are prioritizing events that meet UBC’s presidential priorities, we are open to events of all themes and topics.
You can preview the application questions here (PDF).
Costs for the rental of space at UBC Robson Square, including A/V equipment and staffing, will be covered. In addition, successful applications will be provided with up to $5,000 to cover additional event organizing costs. Some examples include:
- Speaker fees
- Honoraria, stipends, and community compensation
- Marketing and promotions
- Transportation or delivery costs
- Publications and printing materials
Expenses and activities that we do not cover include, but are not limited to:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Hiring UBC students
- Payment of UBC salaries or wages
- Fees for UBC faculty, students, or staff to attend events, conferences, etc.
- Core operational costs for community organizations
- Projects outside of Canada
Find details about Robson Square’s facilities (including photos) and services here.
Additionally, our Public Engagement Specialist can assist event organizers with:
- Event planning
- Designing program content
- Event registration
- Finding event partners
- Liaising with Robson Square staff to book venue space, A/V and catering
- Marketing, including designing promotional materials and amplification on UBC channels
- On-the-day support to ensure the event runs smoothly
Connect with us
Questions? Contact Crystal Lau, Public Engagement Specialist at email@example.com