- This event has passed.
From Cultural Genocide to Cultural Safety: Setting Up a New Standard of Healthcare in BC
January 18 @ 12:00 pm - 3:30 pm
Join us virtually on Wednesday, January 18th, 2023 from 12:00 pm – 3:30 pm (PST), for “From Cultural Genocide to Cultural Safety: Setting Up a New Standard of Healthcare in BC”. This fifth Indigenous Speaker Series session features a panel that brings together BC health care organizations and their senior representatives to discuss the work of cultural safety, cultural humility, and the broader work in regards to the recommendations from In Plain Sight, Truth and Reconciliation, and the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act Action Plan. This important and timely dialogue will highlight the work being undertaken across the province in an effort to reconcile and redress the relationship between Indigenous peoples and health care professionals and systems.
- First Nations Health Authority – Dr. Nel Wieman, Deputy Chief Medical Officer
- Northern Health Authority – Nicole Cross, Vice President, Indigenous Health
- Island Health Authority – Anthony Nelson, Acting Vice President, Indigenous Health & Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Interior Health Authority – Addie Pryce, Vice President, Aboriginal Partnerships
- Providence Health – Harmony Johnson, Vice President, Indigenous Wellness & Reconciliation
- BC Ministry of Health – Teresa Dobmeier, Associate Deputy Minister, Indigenous Health and Reconciliation
- UBC 23 24 Indigenous Cultural Safety Program – Courtney Smith, Curriculum Manager
- College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia – Dr. Heidi Oetter, Registrar and CEO
- Derek K Thompson – Thlaapkiituup, Indigenous Advisor