- This event has passed.
Students as Partners in Course Re-design: Reflections from Student, Faculty, and Staff Partners on Learning Through Partnership
May 29 @ 11:00 am - 12:30 pm
This event is part of the CTLT Spring Institute, taking place from May 29–June 1, 2023.
In 2021, UBC Vancouver made a commitment to position students as collaborators in the academic mission of the university through the Students as Partners (SaP) Initiative. The Initiative compensates undergraduate students working with faculty in the redesign and scholarly evaluation of undergraduate courses, while also providing dedicated support from an educational developer.
In this panel session, which will highlight the voices of students, faculty, and staff who have been involved in funded UBC SaP course re-design projects, we will explore the individual and collective learning that has occurred through the process of working in partnership. Specifically, panelists will reflect on the concept of partnership, where students, faculty, and staff have “the opportunity to contribute equally, although not necessarily in the same ways, to curricular or pedagogical conceptualization, decision-making, implementation, investigation, or analysis” (Cook-Sather et al., 2014, pp. 6-7).
We will also encourage session registrants to share their experiences of working with undergraduate students in course redesign. Through this panel, participants will explore the impact of the partnerships on transforming teaching, curricular practices, student learning and educational development.
- Dr. Gail Hammond, Associate Professor of Teaching, Land and Food Systems
- John Cheng, Educational Consultant: Learning Design Selina Park, Undergraduate Student, Science
- Natalie Hui, Undergraduate Student, Forestry
- Dr. Bosung Kim, Educational Consultant: Learning Design
- Dr. Roselynn Verwoord, Strategist: Students as Partners Marissa Hall, SaP Evaluation Specialist
- Polina Petlitsyna, SaP Coordinator
This event will be hosted on Zoom.