Indigenous Initiatives Design Series – Fall 2023
November 2 @ 9:30 am - 12:30 pm
The Indigenous Initiatives Design Series (II Design Series) is a cohort program for instructors and members of the UBC teaching and learning community who come to Indigenous topics with different levels of knowledge and expertise. This is a three-part workshop series for anyone who wants to:
- Learn new strategies on incorporating Indigenous content into courses and nurturing safer classroom climate for Indigenous students
- Share practices to support meaningful and responsible engagement with Indigenous content and ways of knowing
- Redesign elements of their teaching and learning projects and resources
- Model and explore place-based educational materials
- Apply classroom climate principles to everyday learning design situations
Through interactive, blended synchronous and asynchronous activities and peer-to-peer discussion, participants will take a closer look at classroom climate, instructor/student positionality, and place.
Audience + Previous Experience
This workshop series is suitable for members of the UBC teaching and learning community who:
- have some familiarity, knowledge and experience designing and delivering their own courses
- are committed to integrating Indigenous perspectives and topics in their courses;
- have previously attended Classroom Climate series workshops or have attended other workshops offered by Indigenous Initiatives; and/or
- have other knowledge and experience working with Indigenous communities or Indigenous pedagogies.
If you have questions about your eligibility, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Workshop Details & Application Information:
To apply, participants are required to commit for the entire series. Completion of the series requires approximately 13-15 hours total time commitment, including attendance and participation in three synchronous half-day workshops and asynchronous homework/preparation. The Design Series relies on the active participation of all learners, who, as a team, collaborate to support each other in enhancing their course design or projects.
- 2 In Person Workshops (Total 6 Hours)
- Workshop 1: Motivation and Context is Tuesday, October 31, 2023: 9:30am – 12:30pm
- Workshop 2: Positionality and Place is Thursday, November 2, 2023: 9:30am – 12:30pm
- 1 Online Workshop (Total 3 Hours)
- Workshop 3: Design Lab is Tuesday, November 7, 2023: 9:30am – 12:30pm
- Total required asynchronous work (4-6 hours), including:
- Up to 2-hour preparation time via Canvas prior to October 31, 2023
- 60-90 minutes of homework between sessions
Location Note: The workshops on October 31st and November 2nd will take place in Room 2.22 of Irving K. Barber Learning Centre.
*There is a possibility of sessions moving online should we receive a number of requests leading up to Day One from REGISTERED Participants with issues of illness or travel related to weather. We will do our best to notify everyone should this occur within 24 hours of Day One.
Detailed information including the preparatory work will be shared with registrants prior to the start of the first session on Tuesday, October 31, 2023.
If you are unable to attend the dates listed above but would like to participate in the future, please add your name to the email list HERE.
Applications will close on October 10, 2023.
If you have questions regarding the application process or the series, please contact email@example.com
This event will be hosted both in-person and over Zoom.