- This event has passed.
Establishing a Positive TA Experience Working with Faculty Members: Dos and Don’ts
January 16, 2023 @ 10:00 am - 11:30 am
This event is part of the TA Institute, taking place from January 16–19, 2023.
Eligibility: The TA Institute is open to all undergraduate TAs, graduate students who are interested in teaching, and all graduate student TAs. This session is not open to general undergraduate students, post-doctoral fellows, staff, or faculty.
More than ever, effective working relationships between TAs and instructors are key for students to feel supported in their learning. This workshop is intended for TAs who are thinking about how best navigate their interactions with faculty members in online course(s). In this session, we will identify key elements of an effective working relationship, brainstorm strategies for addressing challenges when working with faculty members, and develop communication plans.
- Shaya Golparian, PhD. TA Development Educational Developer, Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology
- Emily Cadger, PhD Student, CUPE2278
If you wish to complete this workshop as part of either of the themes below to receive a Letter of Completion, you must complete:
- the pre-session online module by January 16th, 2023 by 11:59 PM
- fully attend 4 sessions under each theme you want to complete (this means arriving on time and participating until the end of the session)
- the post-session online module by January 27th, 2023 at 11:59 PM
- a theme completion form by January 27th, 2023 at 11:59 PM (only complete this form once—make sure to indicate all themes and all sessions that you have completed)
This session falls into the following themes:
- Exploring and Supporting Inclusivity, Equity, Accessibility and Wellness
- Fundamentals of TAship
- Online Mode
This year, workshops in the TA institute are organized into 5 themes. If you complete 4 workshops in a theme, complete the related pre- & post-session online modules and submit a theme completion form, you are eligible for a Letter of Completion that you can include in your Teaching Portfolio and CV. The Letter of Completion will include a brief description of the theme(s) that you completed, and how the work you did in the theme(s) support your development as a teacher.
This event will be hosted online on Zoom.