- This event has passed.
Talking is Encouraged During Exams: The Formative Use of Summative Exams
May 30 @ 11:00 am - 12:00 pmFree
This event is part of the CTLT Spring Institute, taking place from May 31–June 3, 2022. To view all events, visit https://institute.ctlt.ubc.ca/spring-institute/spring-institute-events/
Even exams can involve collaboration! In this participatory session, we will discuss how to effectively incorporate group discussion in exams. This workshop will start with a brief explanation of the concept of group exams, then describe the benefits of using group exams in your classroom by sharing examples of how they have been used with success, and conclude with the chance to discuss how group exams may be possible in your classroom!
By the end of the session, participants will be able to:
– Understand the benefits of group exams
– Collect ideas on how to conduct group exams in their own classroom
– Name some of the potential challenges in conducting group exams
– Reflect on how they might mitigate them in their own classroom context
– Irwin Chan, Sessional Instructor, Faculty of Philosophy