- This event has passed.
Promoting Access and Inclusion for Learners of All Backgrounds at UBC
May 12 @ 10:00 am - 11:30 amFree
This event is part of the 2022 Celebrate Learning Week: https://celebratelearning.ubc.ca/
In this session attendees will hear perspectives from UBC leadership on strategies to promote, encourage and support accessible and inclusive teaching and learning.
Accessible and inclusive teaching practices and program design are essential to removing systematic barriers to education for students of all backgrounds including those with disabilities. This panel will explore, from a strategic level, how inclusive teaching is being supported across both UBC campuses. In this 90-minute panel, a panel of UBCV and UBCO leaders will share their strategies, practical approaches, and their experiences and philosophies on inclusive teaching and learning. The panelists will outline ways that their role or units they lead support UBC’s strategic priorities relating to inclusive teaching, identify some systemic barriers or challenges that students face, and discuss strategies to overcome these barriers. There will be time reserved during this session for questions and ideas from the audience.
This panel session builds upon two previous panels where students shared their experiences and needs in the classroom, and faculty and staff shared teaching strategies in the classroom as well as broader supports on campus intended to build inclusive learning environments.
– Simon Bates – Associate Provost, Teaching and Learning, UBCV
– Brad Wutherick- Associate Provost, Academic Programs, Teaching and Learning, UBCO
– Janet Mee – Director, Center for Accessibility, UBCV
– Earllene Roberts – Manager, Disability Resource Centre, UBCO
– Margaret Moss, Interim Associate Vice President of Equity and Inclusion – UBCV
– Shirley Nakata – Ombudsperson for Students, Office of the Ombudsperson for Students