- This event has passed.
Navigating Emotional Responses in the Classroom – October 26, 2023
October 26, 2023 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Note: This is an application session where participants will apply their learnings from previous Anti-Racist Teaching and Learning (A-RTL) workshops. Because of this, we recommend that participants have attended at least one other session with A-RTL before participating in this workshop, and/or bring in your own lived experiences and prior knowledge around race, racialization and racism.
This workshop recognizes that emotions are part of the classroom climate. Instructors are tasked with the complex role of navigating their own emotions in the classroom, while also recognizing the emotions of their students and determining the best way to support them. The significance of this role is particularly prevalent when discussing topics surrounding race, racialization, and racism. This session will explore how race and power dynamics have emotional impacts in the classroom environment (both for students and educators). The intention is for participants to leave with an increased capacity to interact with emotional responses as points of pedagogical and relational engagement.
Enroll in this workshop if you are interested in:
- Reflecting on how your emotional responses to classroom dynamics impact your ability to create a safe(r) learning environment
- Strengthening your ability to address interactions in the classroom that are impacted by the affective dimensions of learning about race, racialization, and racism
- Considering the distribution of emotional labour in anti-racist teaching and learning, and taking action to support yourself and students to take and share responsibility for this
- Learning strategies to support students learning about race, racialization, and racism that affirm and respect the emotional aspects of learning, and also create community and belonging in the classroom.
- Sue Hampton, Educational Consultant, CTLT
- Shannon Robinson, Educational Consultant:Anti-Racist Teaching and Learning, CTLT
- Nathalie Lozano-Neira, Educational Consultant: Anti-Racist Teaching and Learning, CTLT
This event will be hosted on Zoom.