Inclusive Teaching: Reflecting on Your Teaching Practice
November 1 @ 9:30 am - 12:00 pm
Inclusive teaching creates “a learning environment where all students feel that their differences are valued and respected, have equitable access to learning and other educational opportunities, and are supported to learn to their full potential” (CTLT, n.d.). How does one foster an inclusive learning environment? What are some strategies that promote more equitable learning for students?
In this session, you will have an opportunity to deepen your awareness of your own teaching practice as it relates to inclusive teaching. You will be introduced to a variety of inclusive teaching strategies, and you will have the opportunity to consider which strategies might be helpful to adapt into your own context.
By the end of this session, you will:
- Reflect on your current teaching practice
- Appreciate the terrain of inclusive teaching strategies
- Commit to implementing a new inclusive teaching strategy
This is a practical, discussion-based workshop that involves active engagement from participants (in breakout rooms): you will share what you do in the classroom, as well as learn from colleagues about their approaches. Please note, we will be using Google slides as a collaborative tool to document ideas and discussions.
- Jens Vent-Schmidt, Educational Consultant, CTLT
- Judy Chan, Educational Consultant and Faculty Liaison, Land and Food Systems, CTLT
- Sue Hampton, Educational Consultant, CTLT