Graduate Instructional Skills Workshop – January 17, 22, 23 & 29, 2022 (ONLINE)
January 23 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
One event on January 22, 2022 at 9:00 am
One event on January 23, 2022 at 9:00 am
One event on January 29, 2022 at 9:00 am
*** Please note that the dates and times of the ONLINE ISW are as follows***
Meeting 1: Monday, Jan. 17, 4-6 PM
Meeting 2: Saturday, Jan. 22, 9:00 AM – 3 PM
Meeting 3: Sunday, Jan. 23, 9 AM – 5 PM
Meeting 4: Saturday, Jan. 29, 9 AM – 5 PM
***Click “Register Now” to sign up for the WAITLIST only (being on the waitlist doesn’t guarantee a spot). IF you are chosen to participate, you will be contacted directly by our office by email (between after signing up and by registration closing date)***
Registration for the WAITLIST of this ISW closes on January 12, 2022 at 4:30 pm.
Workshop Overview: This 4-day workshop (24-hour) consists of teaching practice, theory application, and topical sessions specifically relevant to Teaching Assistants and Graduate Students at UBC. During the workshop you will teach 3 short lessons and receive feedback from your peers. You will work closely with peers and trained facilitators (who are themselves UBC graduate students). In this supportive atmosphere you will have a chance to begin to develop new teaching skills, to enhance existing skills, and/or to try new and challenging ideas. This workshop is being offered in a special ONLINE format to accommodate distance learning and to meet the rapidly changing needs of TAs and graduate student instructors as a result of this shift to online education and will therefore focus on online instruction.
Participants do not need to be extraordinarily technology-proficient to be successful in this workshop. An introduction to all technologies used within the workshop will be provided.
A participant who wishes to take the Grad ISW is eligible if they are:
– a full-time or part-time registered graduate student at UBC during the academic term when the ISW is offered
– a graduate student at UBC who has completed degree requirements but has not yet convocated
– a joint degree graduate student who is enrolled at UBC and another institution
– a graduate student at UBC pursuing non-degree studies
– a visiting graduate student that is eligible to take courses
A participant who wishes to take the Grad ISW is not eligible if they are:
– not a graduate student at UBC
– a graduate student at UBC who has on-leave status
– a visiting graduate student that is not eligible to take courses