- This event has passed.
Going Rural: Opportunities in Rural Healthcare
January 23 @ 5:00 pm - 8:00 pmFree
Get information and resources to help you pursue your educational and career journey in rural healthcare.
- Hear rural students’ perspectives on getting into and succeeding in health professions schools and programs. Get tips on applying to schools and learn what it’s like to be a student in dentistry, nursing, pharmacy, and medical school. Hear students’ experiences going on rural rotations and working collaboratively with other health professions.
- Learn what it’s like to be a healthcare provider working in a rural community.
- Meet and chat one-on-one with admissions representatives from college and university health professions programs.
- Chat one-on-one with students in health professions programs.
- Play games, win prizes, score some swag!
Who can attend: High school, college, university students from a rural community or who are interested in rural healthcare.
Event Schedule: choose which sessions to join or attend them all!
- 5-6pm Panel Session: Rural rotations and careers: Hear from senior students about their experiences working in healthcare settings in rural communities. Learn about what different health professionals do day-to-day, how different professions work collaboratively, and what to expect when going on a rural rotation.
- 6-6:30pm Mixer session and virtual booths
- Mixer session: Rural rotations – meet students in health professions programs who have completed or who are going on rural rotations.
- Virtual booths – visit virtual booths hosted by a variety of schools and programs from across BC to learn about degree options and admission pathways.
- 6:30-7:30pm Panel Session: Going to school for a healthcare career: Hear from current health professions students from rural communities. Learn about the various educational pathways to different degrees, what school is like, and how these students made the transition from rural to urban.
- 7:30-8pm Mixer session and virtual booths
- Mixer session: Meet admissions representatives – short presentations from different health professions programs in BC about what degrees they offer and their admissions process, followed by an opportunity to speak one-on-one with representatives from each program.
- Virtual booths: visit virtual booths hosted by a variety of schools and programs from across BC to learn about degree options and admission pathways.