- This event has passed.
Geospatial Analysis & Visualization with Python
February 14, 2022 @ 1:00 pm - 3:00 pmFree
In this workshop, we’ll use a dataset that focuses on a very painful subject and may be triggering for some to work with. We are going to look at Police Killings in Canada from 2000-2017. The data was obtained from Pivot Legal Society and initially collected by the CBC. We’re going to visualize the data, investigate racial disparities, and make an infographic using a provided Jupyter Notebook. The end goal of this workshop is to familiarize you with using Python for GIS, and show that programming and data analysis can be powerful tools for promoting social and environmental justice issues.
– General Overview of how GIS in Python Works
– Import, Parse, and Plot Tabular Data
– Join Tabular and Spatial Data
– Reproject Coordinate Systems
– Data Normalization w/ Census Data
– Data Visualization: Create an Infographic
This event will be held in the Research Commons’ Presentation Room (Rm 548/552), Walter C. Koerner Library.