- This event has passed.
Anti-Racism and Solidarity in University Settings
November 30 @ 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
One event on November 30, 2022 at 1:00 pm
This foundational workshop offers participants an overview of key concepts related to race, racism and systems of oppression, and explores anti-racist practices through a lens of solidarity and allyship in university settings. We situate our concepts in current events and we look at how racism shows up at UBC. We will also discuss anti-racist practices that support students, faculty, and staff who identify as Black, Indigenous, or People of Colour. In this workshop, we begin by grounding ourselves in our goals as educators, and framing our own motivation for engaging in this work. The workshop is a combination of presentation slides, reflective activities, and interactive small group discussions.
By the end of this workshop, you will be able to:
– Gain a richer understanding of key anti-racist concepts, literature, and resources
– Reflect on your role as an educator in the university
– Explore how to embed anti-racist practices in your context
– Sue Hampton, Educational Consultant, CTLT
– Freda Maideen, Educational Consultant, Anti-Racist Teaching & Facilitation, CTLT
This event will be hosted on Zoom.