- This event has passed.
Integrating Climate and Well-being into Your Teaching
December 11, 2023 @ 11:00 am - 12:30 pm
This event is part of the CTLT Winter Institute, taking place from December 11-15, 2023.
Well-being in learning environments is foundational to achieving deeper learning and academic success. The need to highlight health and wellbeing in teaching and learning about climate change has been identified by UBC faculty, support units, and the Climate Emergency Task Force Report. The Climate and Wellbeing Education Grant program offers support for faculty to incorporate climate change and human health content into existing course content and promote well-being in the classroom, while engaging with challenging topics such as climate change.
Through the shared experiences of a panel of faculty actively participating in the Climate and Wellbeing Education cohort, our aim is to inspire fellow faculty members to explore innovative methods for infusing well-being and climate-related content into their courses, all while nurturing the well-being of both students and faculty.
The learning outcomes for this session encompass:
- Recognizing the significance of incorporating well-being and climate-related content and methodologies within classroom environments
- Acquiring knowledge on how to promote well-being in the classroom and the various resources and tools available, with specific considerations for climate content, including addressing anxiety, fostering hope, and building community social connections
- Developing confidence to experiment with at least one novel strategy aimed at enhancing well-being within the classroom
- Sally Stewart, Associate Professor Of Teaching, School Of Health And Exercise Sciences, UBC Okanagan
- Adrian Yee, Clinical Associate Professor, Associate Curriculum Director, Year 3 and 4, MDUP, Faculty of Medicine
- Tanya Kyi, Lecturer, School of Creative Writing, Faculty of Arts
- Avi Lewis, Associate Professor, Department of Geography, Faculty of Arts
- Sara Kozicky, Wellbeing Strategic Initiatives Project Manager, Office of Wellbeing Strategy
- Oliver Lane, Manager Teaching and Learning, UBC Sustainability Hub
This event will be hosted over Zoom.