- This event has passed.
Embracing Renewal: Building Foundational Research Skills Across Disciplines
May 31, 2022 @ 9:00 am - 10:00 amFree
This event is part of the CTLT Spring Institute, taking place from May 31–June 3, 2022. To view all events, visit https://institute.ctlt.ubc.ca/spring-institute/spring-institute-events/
UBC Library across both campuses has been identifying ways to better support transformational library learning and experiences. Specifically, the Library was working on an ALT-funded project UBC Library across both campuses has been identifying ways to better support transformational library learning and experiences. Specifically, the Library was working on an ALT-funded project that focused on supporting and offering multiple options for students to learn about the cross-disciplinary, transferable skills and critical engagement of a foundational information literacy skill set.
In this session, we are interested in exploring the following outcomes with participants:
– Explore the assumptions about what library and research skills students have obtained at all levels of the undergraduate experience
– Explore the research and pedagogical approaches used to support effective foundational information literacy, research, and library skills across disciplines, class sizes, assignments, curriculum and more
– Describe how the library’s instructional program redesign can serve as a model for future practical learning supports and interdisciplinary education, and describe how it improves the student experience
We are excited to share with participants who may be designing assignments with information literacy as a base. We will bring in our perspective of what we see and hear across different disciplines when we teach in their classes. We encourage participants to share their experience about identifying gaps and challenges with students’ knowledge about information literacy in their areas of practice.
– Sajni Lacey, Learning and Curriculum Support Librarian, UBC Okanagan
– Kim Buschert, Faculty of Management Librarian, UBC Okanagan
– Alex Kuskowski, Learning Services Librarian, UBC Vancouver