- This event has passed.
Celebrate SoTL Hands-on Workshop: Creating a SoTL Project
October 21, 2022 @ 12:15 pm - 1:45 pm
Faculty and staff often find it difficult to turn their teaching and learning practices into a SoTL project, or to understand where to get support for these projects. In this 90-minute workshop, you will be guided through the steps of creating a SoTL project from an existing teaching practice or research question. A case study will be used to highlight:
– How to identify good SoTL research questions
– How to determine whether institutional ethics approval is required
– Research design and considerations relating to social justice in SoTL projects
In small groups, we will discuss each of these items as well as possible barriers and advantages for choices made during project design. Participants will leave the workshop with an idea for a project that can be developed into a full-scale SoTL research plan, and with connections to other audience members and SoTL resources at UBC.
Facilitators | ISoTL Scholars:
– Antoine Coulombe, Assistant Professor of Teaching, School of Social Work
– Jonathan Graves, Assistant Professor of Teaching, Vancouver School of Economics
– Tal Jarus, Professor, Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy
– Candice Rideout, Associate Professor of Teaching, Food, Nutrition and Health
This session is part of the 5th annual Celebrate SoTL event.
October 20 | 9:00am – 10:30am | Celebrate SoTL Keynote: Leveraging UBC’s Strength in SoTL
October 20 | 11:00am – 12:30pm | Interactive Panel: Perspectives on Student Demographic Data in SoTL
October 21 | 10:00am – 11:30am | Lightning Talks: Showcase your SoTL Work
October 21 | 12:15pm – 1:45pm | Hands-on Workshop: Creating a SoTL Project
Please register for sessions individually as desired.
Venue: Irving K Barber Learning Centre, Peña Room 301