The National Forum on Anti-Asian Racism brought together people across generations, sectors, and the country. Together we shared our stories and found common themes to move us forward against anti-Asian racism in Canada.
Thank you for lending your voice to the conversation.
National Forum on Anti-Asian Racism Final Report
This report summarizes the conversations and key takeaways from the National Forum on Anti-Asian Racism and the Student Dialogue event. We hope this serves to inform and inspire people across all sectors to mobilize and take the necessary action to continue the fight against anti-Asian and other forms of racism in Canada.
By the numbers
Re-watch the event
Anti-Asian Racism PSA Videos
- Welcome and Opening Remarks
- Panel: Why are we here? Surfacing the impacts of Anti-Asian Racism
- Panel: Common Cause? Coalition-building across Asian Canadian communities
- Panel: What Does Media Have To Do With Anti-Asian Racism?
- Concurrent Panelist Session #1: Education
- Concurrent Panelist Session #2: Health
- Concurrent Panelist Session #3: Justice System
- Concurrent Panelist Session #4: Representation in Media, Arts, and Culture
- Concurrent Panelist Session #5: Issues in Housing, Social Services, Elder Care
- Concurrent Panelist Session #6: Government/Policy/Political Representation
- Concurrent Panelist Session #7: Economic Issues: Employment, Business
- Concurrent Panelist Session #8: Grassroots Organizing and Coalition Building
- Plenary panel and summary of Day 1 concurrent sessions
This document features suggested readings, engaging projects and information about community organizations.
What comes next?
The National Forum on Anti-Asian Racism: Building Solidarities
November 9-10, 2021
The National Forum on Anti-Asian Racism: Building Solidarities will bring together students, staff, faculty and academic leaders, as well as community partners, to engage in a timely and open dialogue about anti-Asian racism in Canada’s post-secondary education sector. Hosted by the Faculty of Arts, this two-day event will build on the important work initiated by the University of British Columbia at its inaugural National Forum on Anti-Asian Racism in June 2021.
The Canadian Race Relations Foundation
The Canadian Race Relations Foundation (CRRF) will be providing supports to organizations combating anti-Asian racism through grants. We anticipate that grant applications will be available in the fall of 2021. To be notified, please sign up to CRRF’s email list.
UBC Media Relations
This event was possible through the generous support of the Canadian Race Relations Foundation.
We acknowledge that UBC’s campuses are situated within the traditional territories of the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh, and in the traditional, ancestral, unceded territory of the Syilx Okanagan Nation and their peoples.