- This event has passed.
Preparing Students for Social Impact: Social Impact Lab Toolkit
December 14, 2022 @ 9:30 am - 10:30 am
This event is part of the CTLT Winter Institute, taking place from December 12-15, 2022.
Funded by the Ministry of Advanced Education, The Centre for Community Engaged Learning developed and piloted resources to support educators seeking to integrate planning and action on social and environmental challenges into their courses. Specifically, the Centre developed the Social Impact Lab (SIL) Toolkit, a modular and adaptable online resource that connects educators with lessons to help students achieve systemic change in collaboration with community partners. The Centre also worked with four faculty members using a range of teaching modalities and across various disciplines (eg. education, environmental science, dentistry, graduate, undergraduate, online, in-person) to co-create the lesson plans and evaluate their efficacy.
In this workshop session, we intend to introduce the Social Impact Lab curriculum by showcasing the website with a focus on the following themes drawn from the toolkit:
- Introduce the SIL curriculum by showcasing the website. https://sil-toolkit.ccel.ubc.ca/?object_type=learning_outcome
- Briefly outline how we worked with faculty to incorporate SIL curriculum into their courses and the outcomes achieved.
- Invite attendees to explore the SIL Toolkit and work in small groups to envision how the toolkit may be used in educational settings, including course design and delivery.
- Encourage individuals to explore possible applications of the SIL Toolkit in their classrooms and program, and share those ideas on sticky notes to be collected at the end.
- Bruce Moghtader, Community Engaged Learning Officer, Centre for Community Engaged Learning
- Susan Grossman, Director, Centre for Community Engaged Learning
- Kinley Gillette, Educational Designer, Centre for Community Engaged Learning
This event will be hosted on Zoom.