- This event has passed.
Micro-what? Innovating Through Skills-Based Micro-credentials
May 9, 2022 @ 11:30 am - 1:00 pmFree
This event is part of the 2022 Celebrate Learning Week: https://celebratelearning.ubc.ca/events/2022-events/
Join us for an informal discussion about micro-credentialing and interdisciplinary, skills-based training. The pandemic has accelerated digitization and disruption, resulting in a need for an adaptable, resilient workforce that is continually upskilling and reskilling to adapt to changing organizational and societal needs. Micro-credentialing helps address labour market skills gaps to create a more resilient workforce, and increases accessibility for learners who may not have the time or financial means to complete a full degree.
We will discuss examples of new UBC skills-based micro-credentials, including MAEST-funded micro-certificates in Blockchain and Cybersecurity, and OLAF-funded programs in Game Writing; Biomedical Visualization and Communication; and Mining Law and Sustainability. We will share lessons learned, innovative program and learning design models, information on funding and support resources, as well as examples of industry, community participation and collaboration.
– Larry Bouthillier, Executive Director, Extended Learning
– Anne-Rae Vasquez, Director, Academic Services, Extended Learning
– Winnie Low, Senior Manager, LT, LD & Media Development, Strategy & Operations, Academic Services, Extended Learning
– Aika Sembay, Manager, Program Development, Design & Research, Academic Services, Extended Learning
– Kate Stewart, Senior Consultant, Program Development, Academic Services, Extended Learning
– Josefina Rosado, Senior Learning Designer and Educational Technologist, Academic Services, Extended Learning
Venue: David Strangway Building, 4th floor, Carr-Hall Room 4108