Hybrid Faculty Instructional Skills Workshop (ISW) – August 2024
August 8, 2024 @ 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
To register, please click “register now” to fill out an application.
Please Note: Adhering to physical distancing and other public health requirements, the Faculty ISW format is subject to change. We will maintain a clear focus on ensuring high-quality online, and when possible, in-person instruction. This approach is based on the current guidelines and direction of the Provincial Health Officer, public health agencies, and the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills and Training. The session may move completely online.
- Check-in meeting 1h – date TBD
- Around 4h asynchronous pre-work between check-in meeting and in person days
- Aug 06: 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
- Aug 07: 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
- Aug 08: 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
- Aug 09: 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
This workshop, which focuses on teaching groups of students, is designed to enhance the teaching effectiveness of both new and experienced educators. In a supportive atmosphere, you will have a chance to try new teaching approaches and to sharpen existing skills. During the workshop, you will design and conduct three “mini-lessons” and receive verbal, written and video feedback from your peers. In addition, you will reflect on your own teaching practices. The success of this program relies on the active participation and collaboration of all participants who, as a team, work together to support each other in enhancing their teaching effectiveness.
Participants will join a 1h Zoom meeting and spend 4 hours of self-paced facilitated asynchronous learning in the two weeks before the full in person ISW days. In addition, participants should allocate about 1-2 hours before the workshop and during the evenings of the workshop to prepare their mini-lessons and for homework. A certificate of completion will be awarded to each participant who participates in aspects of the ISW.
Requirements and Certification:
The Instructional Skills Workshop is an internationally certified program that is offered and recognized around the world. For the international certification to be meaningful, all certifying institutions agree to meet four core requirements:
- 24 hours of contact/content (includes time spent online and in person)
- 3 mini-lesson cycles per participants (11-13.5 hours minimum)
- Theme sessions on lesson basics, learning theory, and at least one other topic (4 hours minimum, online and in person)
- Provide a safe, confidential, peer-led, learning community-based structure
Additional information on the Faculty ISW can be found online here.
Registration Process: If you are interested in attending this workshop, please click “register now” to fill out an application. All participants will be notified within two weeks of their applications status.
Am I Eligible to Apply:
You are eligible to apply if you either:
- Teach an undergraduate or graduate course at UBC
- Design or facilitate teaching and learning events that support undergraduate or graduate students at UBC
- UBC faculty or postdoctoral fellow (currently not teaching a course)
If you have any issues registering, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.