- This event has passed.
Engage My Brain, Not My Eyes: The Non-Negotiables in Visual Communication of Data and Concepts
March 31 @ 12:00 pm - 1:30 pmFree
Speaker: Martin Kryzwinski, staff scientist, Canada’s Michael Smith Genome Sciences Centre at BC Cancer
About:In this workshop Martin will explore what makes a good visual explanation: theme, continuity, clarity, and a constrained and unadorned style. “Our goal,” says Martin, “will be to consider function above form and dispel the charms of visual garnish.”
Submitting files: For this workshop, the approach is critique by redesign: Martin will use the graphics and scientific figures you submit in advance as case studies to make the workshop more relevant and useful. *Submissions will be made public. Please do not send anything that may be considered confidential.
A note on submissions:
- All submissions must be received no later than midnight on Sunday, March 19, 2023, for a chance to be reviewed.
- Scientific or research-based figures, posters, slides and other graphic or visual materials will be accepted.
- Submit your work via Dropbox.
- PDF/Adobe Illustrator or any other line art format is preferred, but you can submit whatever you have.
Prior to attending this workshop, please watch these two very short videos:
- Richard Feynman – Names Don’t Constitute Knowledge (2 minutes, 5 seconds)
- Richard Feynman – Magnets (7 minutes, 32 seconds)