- This event has passed.
Education for Sustainability: Integrating the UN Sustainable Development Goals in Teaching, Learning, and Leadership
May 30 @ 9:00 am - 10:30 amFree
This event is part of the CTLT Spring Institute, taking place from May 31–June 3, 2022. To view all events, visit https://institute.ctlt.ubc.ca/spring-institute/spring-institute-events/
In this session, we will explore ESD for 2030 and the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (or UNSDGs) frameworks and connections to post-secondary teaching and learning. The UN SDGs framework is meant to provide a universal roadmap to end poverty and engage nations across the globe on common global issues. Participants will explore the SDG framework and its implications for their teaching and learning goals. Presenters will share how they are integrating SDGs in their practice and examples of successful approaches and models in different contexts. They will reflect on the learning process and the role of education in advancing the UNSDG global goals, and highlight some of the challenges and opportunities in cultivating SDG-related competencies.
– Learn about the ESD and SDG frameworks; its key characteristics, relevance and barriers
– Explore the SDGs through the lens of Education for Sustainability
– Explore COVID-19 implications and impacts on the framework and goals
– Learn various strategies of integrating SDGs in their teaching practice
– Kshamta Hunter, Manager, Sustainability Engagement, Sustainability Hub
– Terry Sunderland, Professor, Director, International Cooperation and Engagement, Faculty of Forestry
– Tara Moreau, Associate Director, Sustainability and Community Programs, UBC Botanical Garden