- This event has passed.
Dorm to Table: Activating sustainable food practices with microgreens
February 8, 2023 @ 5:30 pm - 7:30 pmFree
As part of UBC’s Climate Emergency Week, the UBC Climate Action Mobilizers are hosting a microgreen growing workshop for all students! Through this campus-wide microgreen growing workshop, students will:
- Grow microgreens in their dorms or at home
- Develop a skill which can contribute to self sufficiency
- Increase their understanding of food literacy
- Expand their knowledge of campus and community organizations involved in sustainable food sustems and food literacy-related work
- Develop connections to build a community centred around sustainable food practices
During the workshop, participants will learn about local food systems from Duncan Chambers; Owner of City Beet Farm, and receive recipe inspiration from Andrea Carlson; Chef, Burdock & Co, Harvest Community Foods. Join us to connect with various on-campus sustainability-related groups and learn how to grow your own microgreensby building your own (free) microgreen growing kit! For passionate participants, after the workshop there will be a microgreen growing contest with challenges and prizes!
IMPORTANT NOTE! Please bring your own container that is at least 5×5 inches. This can be any type of container such as a reusable plastic takeout container. Help us promote a zero-waste event and give your containers another life!
Microgreens are young seedlings of edible vegetables and herbs. Microgreens can be harvested and eaten in just 10 days! Ex: mustard greens, kale, arugula, spinach, radish greens, watercress, peas, cabbage and basil! They are flavourful, nutrient-rich and easy to grow!
Increase your food literacy and gardening skills all while having fun with friends at this workshop!