- This event has passed.
Choosing a Citation Management Tool and Migrating from RefWorks
May 9, 2022 @ 4:00 pm - 5:30 pmFree
Whether you are a former RefWorks user in need of a new citation-management tool, or completely new to citation management, this workshop is for you. This workshop will cover citation-management basics and how to transition from RefWorks to another tool.
The first part of the workshop compares the two tools supported at the Research Commons, Zotero and Mendeley, including a discussion of the similarities and unique features of each tool. The second part is for anyone migrating from RefWorks. We will show you how to migrate your data from RefWorks to the tool of your choice in a way that best preserves the organization of your references. We will also go over some commonly-encountered challenges and suggestions on how to work around them.
By the end of this session, attendees will:
1. Know how to export data from RefWorks to their chosen tool.
2. Import metadata and create basic references using both Zotero and Mendeley.
3. Understand the features of citation-management tools Zotero and Mendeley and why one tool might be preferred over another for a particular user or for a specific purpose.
Things to do before arriving:
1. If you’d like to follow along with the demonstrations, download the citation-management tools Zotero (www.zotero.org/download/) and Mendeley (www.mendeley.com/download-reference-manager/).
2. If you are migrating from RefWorks, you may want to view the Migration Guide (guides.library.ubc.ca/refworks/migration) before the workshop.